Paul W. Harms, M.D., Ph.D.
Clinical Lecturer, Department of Pathology
After receiving my M.D. and Ph.D. at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, I came to the University of Michigan Health Systems (UMHS) for residency training in Anatomic Pathology. During my residency and subsequent Dermatopathology fellowship, I became interested in mechanistic studies of cutaneous and soft-tissue malignancies. Upon completion of my fellowship in June 2012, I accepted a position as clinical lecturer at UMHS with joint appointments in the Departments of Dermatology and Pathology, with 80% protected time for research efforts with the objective of establishing an independent laboratory.
My primary research interest is in characterizing expression patterns and genetic changes in cutaneous and soft-tissue malignancies using high-throughput assays such as next generation sequencing and microarray profiling.
1. Harms PW and Chang C. Tomoregulin-1 (TMEFF1) inhibits nodal signaling through direct binding to the nodal coreceptor Cripto. Genes Dev. 2003;17(21):2624-9.
2. Harms PW, Bandarchi B, Ma L. CD163 expression in leukemia cutis. J Cutan Pathol. 2010 Sep;37(9):953-7.
3. Yu L*, Harms PW*, Pouryazdanparast P, Kim DSL, Ma L and Fullen DR. Expression of the embryonic morphogen nodal in cutaneous melanocytic lesions. Modern Pathology. 2010 Sep;23(9):1209-14. *These authors contributed equally to this work.
4. Harms PW, Schmidt LA, Smith LB, Newton DW, Pletneva MA, Walters LL, Tomlins SA, Fisher-Hubbard A, Napolitano LM, Park PK, Blaivas M, Fantone J, Myers JL, Jentzen JM. Autopsy findings in eight patients with fatal H1N1 influenza. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010;134:27-35.
5. Smith MH, Harms PW, Newton DW, LeBar B, Edwards SP, Aronoff DM. Mandibular Actinomyces osteomyelitis complicating florid cemento-osseous dysplasia: case report. BMC Oral Health. 2011 Jul 21;11:21.
6. Asangani IA*, Harms PW*, Dodson L, Pandhi M, Kunju LP, Fullen DR, Johnson TM, Giordano TJ, Maher CA, Nallasivam Palanisamy N, Chinnaiyan AM. Genetic and epigenetic loss of microRNA-31 leads to feed-forward expression of EZH2 in melanoma. Oncotarget. 2012 Sep;3(9):1011-25. *These authors contributed equally to this work.
7. Harms PW, Patel RM, Verhaegen ME, Giordano TJ, Nash KT, Johnson CN, Daignault S, Thomas DG, Gudjonsson JE, Elder JT, Dlugosz AA, Johnson TM, Fullen DR, Bichakjian CK. Distinct gene expression profiles of viral- and non-viral associated Merkel cell carcinoma revealed by transcriptome analysis. Electronically published at J Invest Dermatol. 2012 Dec 6.
8. Smith N, Harms KL, Hines AC, Harms PW, Hristov A, Wang F. Successful treatment of generalized pustular psoriasis of Von Zumbusch with Infliximab. Accepted for publication at J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012.