Scholarly Activities and Research
Participation in a scholarly project is mandatory. Fellows are encouraged to identify a mentor/supervisor and a research project as early as possible. The results of their research will be presented at the HP Educational Conference at the end of the year. Presentation at a national meeting and/or publication in a peer-reviewed journal is the primary goal.
Scopes and types of scholarly activity
- Primary research project: depend on the interests and prior experience of the fellow. Typical project types include morphologic reviews, immunophenotyping studies, molecular diagnostics or clinical cytogenetics-based studies, and/or any other pertinent clinical/translational research. As part of the research requirement, fellows are responsible for obtaining institutional internal review board (IRB) approval for new projects if necessary.
- Case reports
- Review articles (including book chapters)
- Laboratory management projects leading to publication or presentation at a national meeting
Examples of Scholarly Activity from Prior Fellows
- Olson N, Shao L, Ross C, Dewar R. B-lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma with homozygous 9p21.3 deletion and marked eosinophila. SH/EAHP workshop on eosinophilia and mastocytosis, Phoenix, AZ, 9/2019
- Olson N, Dewar R. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, germinal center B-cell subtype. Performance Improvement Program Series in Surgical Pathology, College of American Pathologists, College of American Pathologists PIP-D 2019; Case 2019-40.
- NPM-ALK phosphorylates WASp Y102 and contributes to oncogenesis of anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Murga-Zamalloa CA, Mendoza-Reinoso V, Sahasrabuddhe AA, Rolland D, Hwang SR, McDonnell SR, Sciallis AP, Wilcox RA, Bashur V, Elenitoba-Johnson K, Lim MS. Oncogene. 2017 Apr;36(15):2085-2094. PMID: 27694894. 2017 Benjamin Castleman Award, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology.
- T-cell Receptor Signaling Activates an ITK/NF-κB/GATA-3 axis in T-cell Lymphomas Facilitating Resistance to Chemotherapy. Wang T, Lu Y, Polk A, Chowdhury P, Murga-Zamalloa C, Fujiwara H, Suemori K, Beyersdorf N, Hristov AC, Lim MS, Bailey NG, Wilcox RA. Clin Cancer Res. 2017 May 15;23(10):2506-2515.
- Pyrimidine tract-binding protein 1 mediates pyruvate kinase M2-dependent phosphorylation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 and oncogenesis in anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Hwang SR, Murga-Zamalloa C, Brown N, Basappa J, McDonnell SR, Mendoza-Reinoso V, Basrur V, Wilcox R, Elenitoba-Johnson K, Lim MS. Lab Invest. 2017 Apr 17 (In press). PMID: 28414323.
- Hathuc V, Hristov A, Smith L. Primary Cutaneous Acral CD8+ T cell lymphoma. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (Accepted for publication)
- Charles NJ, Boyer DF. Mixed Phenotype Acute Leukemia: Diagnostic Criteria and Pitfalls. Arch Pathol Lab Med. In press.
NON-PEER-REVIEWED/WEB ARTICLES ABSTRACTS
- Olson N, Choi S. The effects of ruxolitinib on bone marrow cellularity. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology Annual Meeting. National Harbor, MD. 2019
- Eliaszadeh S, Dewar R. Checkpoint inhibition in Lymphoma therapy: Variable expression of CD38 in bone marrow versus nodal tissue of NHL patients may regulate lymphoma micro-environment and hence predict relapse and responsiveness to therapy (USCAP 2018)
- Role of the Colony-Stimulator Factor-1 Receptor (CSF1R) T-cell Lymphoma Progression. Carlos Murga-Zamalloa, Avery Polka, Noah Brown, Nathaniel Bailey, Ryan Wilcox. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP), San Antonio, USA (2017). 2017 Stowell-Orbison Award, Annual USCAP Meeting.
- Hathuc V, Smith L. 2016 Revision of the World Health Organization Classification of Lymphoid Neoplasms. New Frontiers in Diagnostic Pathology conference 2016, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Hathuc V, Walkovich K, Bixby D, Smith L. Familial Acute Myeloid Leukemia/Myelodysplastic Syndrome with Germline RUNX1 Mutations: A Single Institution Experience. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology meeting 2017, San Antonio, TX.
- Hathuc V, East E, Pang J, Jorns J, Dewar R. A Practical Quality Control Procedure for Decalcified Bone Specimens in Evaluation of ER/PR/HER-2 Immunohistochemistry. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology meeting 2017, San Antonio, TX.